Liquor Approvals

Should you require a liquor approval for a function or event...

Frequently Asked Questions when a Liquor Licence is Required : HERE

What is a Special Facility Licence?

A special facility licence under section 46 of the Liquor Control Act 1988 (the Act) authorises the holder of the licence to sell liquor in accordance with the conditions imposed on the licence based on the tenor of the business. The Act provides that the licensing authority shall not grant a special facility licence except for a prescribed purpose. The Act further provides that a special facility licence should not be granted or varied if granting or varying a licence of another class, or imposing, varying or cancelling a condition on a licence of another class, or issuing an extended trading permit in respect of another class of licence, would achieve the purposes for which the special facility licence is sought.

The licensing authority may substitute an alternative type of licence where an applicant seeks the grant of a special facility, but in the view of the licensing authority a licence of another class would be adequate for the purpose. Furthermore, an existing special facility licence cannot be varied to such an extent that a licence of another class, with or without permits, would achieve the same purpose. Accordingly, the licensing authority may convert an existing special facility licence to a licence of another class.

Free Drinking Water

Where liquor is sold and supplied for consumption on the premises, all licensees are required to provide potable drinking water for patrons to consume on the premises free of charge during trading hours. In order to comply with the minimum requirement, venues are able to choose to provide water:

  • from a water jug at bar service areas;
  • by way of water coolers/fountains located at bar areas and throughout the venue;
  • by some other form of water dispenser.

Water must be clean and refreshed regularly. Warm or hot water will not be considered compliant with this condition nor will the use of hand basins taps in toilet facilities be considered as compliant with this condition.

DRGL Fees and Charges can be found HERE

DRGL Apply for Liquor Licence HERE